How to adopt my daughter’s child?

UPDATED: May 14, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 14, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to adopt my daughter’s child?

My daughter got pregnant by her ex-boyfriend and her new boyfriend is making her give the baby up or he will not stay with her. I am her mother, want to legally adopt my grandchild. The baby is due in a little under 5 months.Is it legal for me to obtain full custody? How do I go about the process?

Asked on May 14, 2012 under Family Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Please seek legal help here from an attorney in your area.   You can also obtain legal custody of the baby rather than go through the adoption process which may be easier and faster if all are in agreement. In order to adopt you will have to terminate parental rights of both your daughter and the father. If the parents were never married then she only is the legal guardian. I would strongly suggest advising your daughter to get some counseling here. Emotionally this is a lot for her.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption