How soon can a garnishment start?

UPDATED: Jun 14, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 14, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How soon can a garnishment start?

I got a verified motion to enforce a judgement by proceedings supplemental to execution to garnish my paycheck. The court date is in 2 months. Will they start garnishing before the court date? I was sued 2 months ago by a relative who loaned me the money. I made arrangements to pay $100 a month for a total of $700. At the time I was unemployed and haven’t paid anything yet. Now that I’m working, I was planning on paying him my monthly payments, when I received the summons. Will they start garnishing before the court date in 2 months?

Asked on June 14, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Indiana


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If there is a judgment against you presently, the judgment creditor can immediately start a wage garnishment on your pay checks and/or begin levying on your bank accounts regadless of the court hearing several months down the line.

I suggest that you try and pay off this relative the money you owe sooner rather than later.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption