How should i file for divorce if the only child of that marriage is neither of our custody?

UPDATED: Aug 1, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How should i file for divorce if the only child of that marriage is neither of our custody?

My husband filed for divorce 2 years ago. My sister intervened and became managing conservator of our child. He was deported to Mexico and his lawyer dropped his case. I am now looking to divorce him but I plan on doing do-it-yourself packet. But there’s one with children and one with out.. He is ordered to pay child support and I’m not. I do not reside in the same state that my son lives. There’s no court ordered visitations for me but she does keep me informed of him.

Asked on August 1, 2012 under Family Law, Washington


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you consult with a family law attorney to assist you in your matter. Since you and your spouse have a child, you need to complete the form that references children from this union and state the circumstances as to has the custody of the child and why.

You would be able to file for your dissolution in the county and state of your current residence.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption