How must I agree to be relieved of compulsary execution of child support in the case of unemployment?

UPDATED: Jan 3, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 3, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How must I agree to be relieved of compulsary execution of child support in the case of unemployment?

I am currently undergoing a divorce agreement. I have little personal property. In what way must I agree so that when I lose my job and cannot pay child support I can still keep my property and stay out of prison?

Asked on January 3, 2012 under Family Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I think what you are asking - in simple terms - is if I lose my job how do I get my child support payments adjusted accordingly, correct?  You support payments should be based upon your income now.  generally speaking, each state has a set of laws dealing with child support payments.  SOme states use an Income Share model but which ever model your state uses, there should be child support worksheets available to help you compute the amount.  Now, in the event you lose your job you would apply to the court for a modification of the agreement based upon a change in circumstances.  The court should indeed reduce the payments appropriately based upon the situation. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption