How much time or what other recourse do I have to have a plumbing problem repaired by my landlord?

UPDATED: Dec 3, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 3, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How much time or what other recourse do I have to have a plumbing problem repaired by my landlord?

I live on the bottom level of a 3 story unit and earlier today a contractor replaced the vinyl flooring in the bathroom above mine as it was damaged by a leaking toilet. After the repair the contractor flushed the toilet and water came pouring into my bathroom through the dropped ceiling. I called the management company and reported the problem. Then 6 hours later it again rained toilet water in my bathroom. Since this is waste water (a bio-hazard) can I force them to bring in a certified cleaning crew after the repairs?

Asked on December 3, 2011 under Real Estate Law, California


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Absolutely. It would make your unit uninhabitable and a violation of not only local codes but most likely state law, as well. You need to inform your landlord that he or she needs to immediately rectify this situation while he pays for your stay in a hotel. The longer you need to live elsewhere, the more you can take off of your rent. You can try to mitigate by hiring someone to come to fix the problem by code (make sure the company is certified) and deduct the cost from your rent...this is of course if your landlord refuses to fix or takes too long to fix.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption