How much time does a company legally have to reimburse a customer for an overage paid on their account?

UPDATED: Jun 24, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 24, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How much time does a company legally have to reimburse a customer for an overage paid on their account?

I overpaid on my car title loan. This was 3 months ago. I still haven’t received a check for the $638 that I overpaid and was made aware of by the company. Every time I call to check on the status of my reimbursement I get the run around.

Asked on June 24, 2011 under General Practice, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If there is a specific law that relates to this matter then it would best be asked to an attorney in your area.  But without a doubt you should call the state Attorney General's Office and speak with their consumer fraud division on the matter. If they can help you then they will open up a case on your behalf and help you file a complaint.  If they can not help you then they will give you guidance on what you need to do and who you need to contact on the matter.  This is a good first step before filing a small claims action against them, which is always another option available to you.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption