How much should I have to pay my landlord for rent this month if I have not been able to use my my kitchen?

UPDATED: Jan 3, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 3, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How much should I have to pay my landlord for rent this month if I have not been able to use my my kitchen?

On the 14th of last month I came home to a broken pipe in my kitchen. On the 15th the landlord had the entire area downstairs gutted leaving me with no kitchen etc. I have now spoken to him; he has not paid for any meals, temporary housing, etc. He does not feel that there should be a reduction to my rent even though I have not had a working kitchen for over 3 weeks and the kitchen is not going to be complete for at least another 2 -3 weeks or more. Also, what about the increase in electric and water for the equipment used for clean-up? What are my rights?

Asked on January 3, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Your landlord is wrong. All leases come with what's often called the "implied warranty of habitability," which is the requirement that the premises be fit for their intended purpose--e.g. residence. Conditions, such as a lack of a working kitchen, which impair the use of the premises warrant compensation, such as a recovery of additional costs (hotels, take in, repair, etc. costs) and/or a rent "abatement," or reduction, to reflect the lesser value of the impaired premises. Given that you are talking about 6 weeks of impaired habitability and additional out of pocket costs you incurred, it is probably worthwhile to speak with an attorney about recovering money from your landlord. Alternately, you could represent yourself  in court, if you have to sue (i.e. he won't voluntarily pay anything); you'd probably seek an amount equal your additional out-of-pocket costs plus perhaps a 25% or so rent reduction for the period of no kitchen.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption