How much money will I receive for pain and suffering?

UPDATED: Apr 30, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 30, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How much money will I receive for pain and suffering?

I was rear-ended while stopped at a cross-walk. My car received minor damages- a dent and scratches. However, I had to go to a chiropractor because my neck began to hurt 2 days after the accident. The doctor told me I have a small fracture in my neck. I also have minor back pain. How much money will I be receiving for pain and suffering. Also I have to keep traveling to my doctors and lawyers office which is using up a lot of gas.

Asked on April 30, 2012 under Accident Law, Connecticut


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

There is no hard and fast answer to your question--awards for pain and suffering are highly subjective and variable. To get some sense for what might be appropriate (rough rule of thumb), you should total your medical expenses; if your injury is causing disability or pain which actively interferes with basic life functions or enjoyment of life, an appropriate pain and suffering award for what you describe as "minor back pain" will probably be equal to between 50% and 100% of your medical costs. Note though that if the pain is sufficiently minor--e.g. the equivalent of a low grade headache or modest sprain or less--you might not be entitled to anything.

Also, you should be compensated, whether by insurance or by the at-fault driver, for unreimbursed or out-of-pocket medical costs; lost wages (if any); other costs directly attributable to the accident and injury (for example, possibly travel costs for medical care); and property damage.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption