How much money do I have to give my boyfriend with sale of our house

UPDATED: Jun 12, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 12, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How much money do I have to give my boyfriend with sale of our house

My boyfriend and I purchased a home together. However, I put $100,000 down on the home as a down payment.We just acceptd an offer on the home. The total profit is $30,000. Do I owe him any of the profit?

Asked on June 12, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Massachusetts


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

The information you gave needs additional clarification.  Let's say you bought the house for $300,000.00   You put $100,000.00 down and can prove that it was your alone.  You are now selling the property for $330,000.00.  The mortgage of $200,000.00 and the $100,000.00 down payment is taken off the top leaving $30,000.00 profit.  If you and your boyfriend both lived in the house and your boyfriend contributed to the value of the house during the time you owned it - which could be anything from painting and maintaining, etc. - then I would think that he is entitled to half of the profit absent an agreement to the contrary. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption