If I lent someone my car and the police found drugs in it, what can happen to me?

UPDATED: Nov 29, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I lent someone my car and the police found drugs in it, what can happen to me?

I loaned my car to this girl who hit a parked car and jumped out and ran. The cops got the car and then found drugs in it. Can they hold me responsible for the drugs? Also, what is the penalty for leaving the scene of an accident?

Asked on November 29, 2011 under Criminal Law, West Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

1) Leaving the scene of an accident--if you were not in the car, then you would not face criminal liability for  doing this.

2) Can the police hold you "responsible" for the drugs--not unless they believe that you had something to do with them (i.e. you're not responsible simply because someone else had drugs and happened to be in your car). Of course, if drugs were found in your car, they may well believe that they are yours and you could face charges (e.g. for possession). You should consult with a criminal defense attorney about this matter in detail.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption