How much for a lost engagement ring?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How much for a lost engagement ring?

I was never legally married, but was
engaged for an extended time in
Washington state. My fiancee broke
things off. She was not able to give
back the engageament ring, because she
lost it. Now, in Washington state if she
breaks things off she obligated to
return the ring. So, what are my rights?
Can I charge her for the purchase price?
It was around 8000. If I can, how to I
charge for interest, collections, etc?

Asked on August 13, 2019 under Family Law, Washington


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You can seek its current fair market value (i.e. what someone would pay for it now), which may be more, less, or the same as the purchase price (the purchase price can be used as evidence of the fair market value but is not necessarily the same--you could have over- or underpaid, for example).
You cannot get interest, because interest is only recoverable when there is some written agreement allowing for interest. Similarly, you cannot get your collections costs: those, too, are only recoverable when there is an agreement providing for them.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption