How much does a trustee charge to manage an estate?

UPDATED: Dec 29, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 29, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How much does a trustee charge to manage an estate?

My dad appointed his best friend to be the sole trustee to manage the estate upon his death. The total estimated value of the estate is worth $3,205,000. The estate consists of stocks and bonds, personal belongings, farm house consisting of 35 acres plus 98 acres of prime farm land. There are 4 heirs to the estate. What would you consider to be a fair and equitable fee for the trustee to charge the estate? Should the fee be per hour or based on a percentage of the estate?

Asked on December 29, 2013 under Estate Planning, South Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Unless the trust sets forth the fee of the trustee on a yearly basis custom and practice in the industry is 1% per annum fee based upon the gross assets of the trust. The trustee is required to provide a yearly accounting for the trust.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption