How much does a deceased persons assets have to be to file an estate?

UPDATED: Mar 7, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 7, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How much does a deceased persons assets have to be to file an estate?

A parent has died with one surviving son and multiple grandchildren. Her other son has passed away and his wife is left behind. She is trying to file an estate when she is not next of kin and is harassing the blood-related son and tell him and his children what they are going to do with her property and how they are going to handle it. There is no Will.

Asked on March 7, 2012 under Estate Planning, Indiana


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  If there is no Will then the parent was said to have died "intestate" and the intestacy statutes in the state of Indiana will decide how the estate is distributed.  Now, first it is unclear to me from my reading of your question if some of the grandchildren are the children of the deceased son.  It is also unclear to me in the reading of the statute if the share of the deceased son would pass to his children if there are any.  But understand this: his wife is entitled to NOTHING under the intestacy statute regardless of the issue with the children.  So the surviving son has to fight her being appointed as the fiduciary - may be called administraotr or personal representative - of the parent's estate and ask to be appointed himself. Then get legal help with the person.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption