How much do I have to put up with? Tenant has been caught stealing property from my house 2 times that are documented. Many other items missing.

UPDATED: Jun 13, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 13, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How much do I have to put up with? Tenant has been caught stealing property from my house 2 times that are documented. Many other items missing.

Also tenant (occupying 2 rooms of home) has paid no rent or utilities for over 2 months. I served 3 day pay or quit and unlawful detainer only to have judge declare foul because water had been off intermittently. Says I have responsibility to provide house with water even though tenant lack of payment of rent was the cause of water shut off. No remedy by judge. Tenant still has posession, still sucking up utilities and squatting. Major thief. Finding strangers in house that say they are “Guests” of tenant. When I leave, more stuff comes up missing. Judge says no restraining order either. WTF?

Asked on June 13, 2009 under Real Estate Law, California


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

If you have solid proof that the person is stealing from you, file a criminal complaint with the police.  But before you do that, I'd suggest, very strongly, that you have the entire case reviewed by a good lawyer in your area, to make sure that the proof is as solid as you think it is.  One place to find a qualified attorney is our website,

Evicting a tenant has to be done by the numbers.  It's worth what an attorney will cost, to get rid of a parasite like this as soon as possible.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption