How much and for how long do I have to pay my wife’s bills now that we are separated?

UPDATED: Jul 25, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 25, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How much and for how long do I have to pay my wife’s bills now that we are separated?

We are married for 5 years. She asked me to leave as it is her house. Since we were trying to have kids she agreed that she could stay home and not work as we could make it on my salary. She began to withdraw and had admitted to having a friend she is chatting with on-line. She then started seeing a therapist who she has seen for over 1 year and we saw as a couple for a short time. Out of the blue she said that she wanted a separation for a few days but has lasted over 2 months with me paying her for all bills and expenses. When can I stop?

Asked on July 25, 2011 Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

So I am assuming that she is going to claim that you have no interest in the house as a marital asset, correct?  Well if you agree that you have no interest - and I would not do so until you speak with an attorney on the entire matter - then stop paying now.  Really I would seek help from an attorney in your area asap as to what you can do to stop the insanity from continuing.  Your marriage is no considered to be of long duration and if the reason that she stayed home was to have a child but now has asked you to leave, assumedly she can get a job and start supporting herself.  She may need time to do that and the court can award her support what is known as rehabilitative maintenance in some areas.  But you can not have your cake and eat it too.  Get help.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption