How many ways do profits have to be divided when property is sold.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How many ways do profits have to be divided when property is sold.

My mother changed the deed on her property and
put me, my 2 sisters and their spouses on it. We are
getting ready to sell the property. My sisters think the
sale price of the house is to be split 5 ways with their
spouses receiving shares also. I am wondering if this
is correct or if it is to be split just 3 ways, between
the siblings ?

Asked on January 3, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

It is only split between the owners--that is,the people on the deed. Other persons have no right to it, even spouses. If there three people on the deed, the profit is split 3 ways. What they may be confusing is that their husbands would (if they divorced) have a right to part of *their share* of the property or proceeds, but the fact that spouses may have a claim against their spouse's share does not increase their spouse's share in the first place. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption