How many times can an employee change their state and federal tax deductions in a calander year?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How many times can an employee change their state and federal tax deductions in a calander year?

A couple times a year I change my tax deductions to exempt to get a little more money in my paycheck. I understand I am responsible for the taxes I owe as a whole. Can an employer legally stop you from changing your tax deductions for this reason? As an example, I went exempt for 3 payroll periods this summer to help pay for the 4 weddings we had. After those 3 weeks were up, I changed my deductions back to what they were.

Asked on August 21, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

There is no legal limit or restrictions; your exemptions are your business or concern, and you may change your designation as often as you like. Your designation, and when to change it, is your choice; you may change it at will.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption