How longs does an officer have to file paper work and make an arrest?

UPDATED: May 21, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 21, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How longs does an officer have to file paper work and make an arrest?

a friend of mine was found with a felony amount of marijuana. He was not arrested on the spot and police said that they would get back to him after an investigation. It has been two months now and he has not heard a word. Is there a limit to how long of time an officer can take to file a report?

Asked on May 21, 2009 under Criminal Law, Pennsylvania


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I am a lawyer in CT that practices criminal defense.  In my experience, there is nothing your friend can do for now.  Generally folonies carry a statute of limitations of 5 years.  I am not sure of the statute in your state, but i know it is at least a couple years.  to be safe, i would call and find out if a warrant is pending so that if one is, you have have your friend turn himself in and deal with it as opposed to being arrested one random day in public.  if there is no warrant, then just hope one is not filed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption