How longdo I have to file a lien on someone’s property if they owe me over $10,000?

UPDATED: Oct 5, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How longdo I have to file a lien on someone’s property if they owe me over $10,000?

What are all my options?

Asked on October 5, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Arizona


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

In order to be able to record a lien on a person's property for money owed before a judgment is obtained, you first must be statutorily approved to do so. For example, many contractors or professionals having a state issued license are allowed to lien a person's home before a lawsuit is even filed per statute.

If you are not a licensed contractor or some other licensed professional who is owed money, most likely you are not able to record a lien before a judgment is approved concerning your dispute over the $10,000 you write about.

If so, your recourse would be to file a lawsuit against the person who owes you money, go to trial and hopefully obtain a judgment for money owed you. Once you obtain the judgment, then you can record an abstract of judgment on the judgment debtor's home which creates a lien for you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption