How long should I give a landlord to resolve my lack of heatand hot water?

UPDATED: Feb 9, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 9, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How long should I give a landlord to resolve my lack of heatand hot water?

I have made numerous written and verbal request to have my no heat and hot water issued resolved. It has been four days and not resolution. I was told the issue will be resolved in 5 more days leaving me with no heat and hot water in my home.

Asked on February 9, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Maryland


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Although the law in your state may be specific, I do not know if there is any real general rule for this.  Your inconvenience for just one day is enough to make you mad in my book.  So I would do this: go down to landlord tenant court and ask to start a proceeding against the landlord for the lack of hear and hot water.  Ask to pay your rent in to court and for an abatement (reduction in rent).  In New York it is called an HP proceeding.  This will insure it is fixed or you are given the option to leave.  You can not just break the lease.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption