How long is the process for a father who wants to bring his 38 year old daughter to the U.S. if he is not on birth certificate?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How long is the process for a father who wants to bring his 38 year old daughter to the U.S. if he is not on birth certificate?

My father is a U.S. citizen who has an adult daughter living in Haiti. He needed a DNA test to prove that she is his child. Since he is not on her birth certificate, she told my father that she needed $2,500 to change her last name to his or he will not be able to sign for her to come to the U.S. I thought that was a bit odd. Were the DNA test results not enough for my father to sign for her to come to

the U.S.? Also, he claims that the process will only take about 2 years but I

have heard that the process to bring a child over 21 takes way longer than that. Does ay of this sound correct?

Asked on October 18, 2018 under Immigration Law, New Jersey


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

The process takes about 8-10 years on average and if he is not on the birth certificate then it may take more documentation to prove that he is indeed her biological father.  The last  name is really not relevant at all because people can have different last names but the biological connection is required.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption