How long does my previous employer have to bill me for repaying tuition reimbursement?

UPDATED: Sep 15, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 15, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How long does my previous employer have to bill me for repaying tuition reimbursement?

I recently left a job where the employer paid for part of a degree I earned. In the union contract, it says that if I leave within 2 years of a course they paid for, I need to repay a certain percentage of what they paid. I have not received a bill and the contract does not specify when they will bill me for the repayment. Is there a set amount of time in which they must bill me?

Asked on September 15, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If your obligation to repay is based on a contract, as you indicate, then the employer can take legal action against you any time within the "statute of limitations" (time to sue) for breach of contract. In your state, that is four years. Since the time period during which they can bill you is, for all practical purposes, defined by the statute of limitations--since after they can no longer take legal action, they could not force you to pay a bill--they can effectively bill you up to almost four years after you left employment (since they'd need to leave themselves enough time to sue if you do not pay).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption