How long does a DWI stay on your record?

UPDATED: Mar 16, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How long does a DWI stay on your record?

I got a DWI 16 years ago and it is still on my record. I lost a job for it .

Asked on March 16, 2012 under Criminal Law, North Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

A criminal conviction (such as your DUI conviction) will continue to stay on a person's record so long as that person is living. Since your conviction happened 16 years ago, you might consider consulting with a criminal defense attorney to evaluate if the conviction could be "expunged".

To get a conviction expunged one has to file a pleading with the court as to it. If the motion is successful, the conviction for all intents and purposes never happened but there will be a reference publicly of the prior criminal matter. Such a proceeding might help you later on. Not all motions to expunge are granted.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption