How long do you have to wait for someone to comply with a divorce agreement?

UPDATED: Sep 7, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 7, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How long do you have to wait for someone to comply with a divorce agreement?

My ex got a condo that I owned in Mexico as part of our settlement. She was to expeditiously change the tile into her name. It has been 3 years. She keeps stalling because as a Mexican citizen in my name the taxes are $100 a year; for her as an American they would be about $2,000 a year. Can I just evict her at this point?

Asked on September 7, 2011 under Family Law, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

No, you should not consider evicting her as it could get you in to legal trouble.  You know it is hers under the divorce decree.  But I absolutely agree with you: three years is NOT expeditiously anything!  You have to take her back to court to enforce the divorce settlement ( it is a contract) and to ask the court to hold her in contempt or to ask the court to modify the settlement and the decree and to allow you to treat the asset as your asset or order it sold or what ever it is you think that legally under Florida law you can get away with.  Seek legal help. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption