How long do I have to return a brand new car after purchase?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How long do I have to return a brand new car after purchase?

I purchased brand new automobile and want to return it.

Asked on February 7, 2017 under General Practice, North Dakota


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Federal law allows a "3 day right of recission" for certain contracts (door-to-door sales and some loan contracts like home mortgage loans and private education loans). Some states provide for a similar right of rescission for a few other types of contracts but your state does not, at least not for car sales. That having been said, in order to protect consumers from manufacturing defects, ND has a "lemon law" that allows a vehicle manufacturer 3 attempts to try to fix a major defect on a new vehicle but if they fail to do so, then they are required to refund the purchase or replace the vehicle. For the specifics of the law, you can check with your state's attorney general's office.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption