How long do I have in my house after a sheriff sale?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How long do I have in my house after a sheriff sale?

I live in Mahoning County, OH. My house went into foreclosure was sold at the
sheriff sale yesterday. The court docked says that the deposit was paid by ‘PLT’,
would this be an abbreviation for ‘Plaintiff’, aka the bank? Also, how long do I
have left in my house? I cannot find a place to move to until at least the
beginning of February. Am I going to be kicked out before then? I can’t find any
specific information for my county.

Asked on January 4, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

"PLT" would be plaintiff typically, so you are right: the bank.
You have until they file a legal action to remove you, since you have no legal right to remain there; such an action typically takes only a few weeks in your state, though the unknowable is how long it will take them to file it--nothing happens automatically, so you are ok until they act
You could contact them and see if they will agree to give you a certain amount of time (e.g. 60 days), so you have a firm deadline; they will often do this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption