How long do I have after a 20 day vacate notice is up

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How long do I have after a 20 day vacate notice is up

My notice is up at 12am tonight
and I’m not entirely moved out
yet. What is going to happen?

Asked on November 10, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Washington


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

The landlord has to file an eviction lawsuit (by filing a summons and complaint) in court to remove you; they can do that the very day you fail to move out on time (though it's not uncommon for the landlord to take a few days to get to that); after that, you'll typically get a court date in 2 weeks or so. After the court date, you can be locked out in another 3 - 4 days. So the whole process can take less than 3 weeks from the date in the 20-day notice; or it could take longer if the landlord is slow to file in court or the court is particularly busy and backed-up, and it takes a little longer before your court date.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption