How long do the police have to report a car has been stolen?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How long do the police have to report a car has been stolen?

I made a report like 2 weeks ago about my car being stolen. The police came to my house and asked me questions and so on and the officer said they would contact me. I was then asked for my phone number and email address but haven’t been contacted at all. Since I hadn’t found my car, I decided to search my VIN online. I have now found out that it has never been reported as stolen. What can I do? The officer even left me a case number and everything.

Asked on August 24, 2019 under Criminal Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

The report should have been made more-or-less immediately: within a day or two. Contact the office and ask why it has not been reported yet and ask him to do so; ask him to make clear, when he does, the date that you reported it to him (i.e. his report should be "retroactive" to that date to provide maximum protection to you). If he won't comply, contact his supervisor(s).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption