How long can the state take to indict me?

UPDATED: Aug 19, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How long can the state take to indict me?

I was arrested in and released after 90 days because the grand jury did not indict me. I hate living with these 2 2nd degree felony charges looming in the future.

Asked on August 19, 2011 Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If the grand jury held a hearing against you and did not indict you after you were arrested for felony charges resulting in your release after being incarcerated for ninety (90) days, most likely the grand jury will not indict you for the charges asserted against you at this time unless new evidence comes to light.

Additionally, the chances of the district attorney's office filing charges against you at this time and holding you to answer for a felony seems remote given the fact that the grand jury failed to indict you.

There are statute of limitations for a criminal complaint to be filed against a person and/or a time period for one to be indicted for a charge. I recommend that if you had a criminal defense attorney representing you at any time during the time you were incarcerated, you should contact him or her at to the time frame for any charges to be filed against you or an indictment issued as well as the likelihood of either happening. You should also inquire about all applicable statute of limitations for the claims against you.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption