How long can creditors make a claim for unpaid bills?

UPDATED: May 27, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 27, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How long can creditors make a claim for unpaid bills?

Fater in-law passed away last year in Texas. Will was probated in Feruary, 2009. Public notice was posted in local newspaper. Still receiving his bills at my residence. Estate has been divided between the heirs. Will the heirs be liable or held responsible for any outstanding debts?

Asked on May 27, 2009 under Estate Planning, Texas


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

This might not be a simple question. Your best option is to have a wills and estates lawyer in your area review the entire situation, to get advice that you can rely on.  One place you can look for an attorney is our website,

There are too many variables for me to generalize much, and to some extent this will be a matter of Texas law, where I'm not licensed.  If the estate has followed all the rules exactly as it should, in the situation, that should be the end of things.  If not, it's best to deal with it as soon as possible and make it right -- ultimately, that's almost always the cheapest and easist approach, in the long run.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption