How long can a person be kept in jail past their original probation end date if they violate their probation?

UPDATED: Oct 5, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How long can a person be kept in jail past their original probation end date if they violate their probation?

My fiance was arrested the other day for a warrant put out 3 years ago. He never knew he violated his probation. PO is saying he was in hiding, but nothing ever showed up in any system about the warrant. He’s had his driver’s license renewed 3 times and applied and been approved for his green card through the federal government after the date the warrant was supposedly filed. His probation was supposed to end next week. How long can they keep him in jail?

Asked on October 5, 2011 under Criminal Law, Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If your fiance' was arrested for an outstanding bench warrant and has been unable to post bail, he will be in jail until his next court appearance to answer for the outstanding bench warrant and perhaps longer depending upon the ability to post bail in the amount set by the court.

Given the situation that he is in, I recommend that he consult with a criminal defense attorney for representation. If he cannot afford an attorney, the court will appoint one to represent him. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption