How long can a landlord hold a deposit after I have moved out?

UPDATED: Aug 27, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How long can a landlord hold a deposit after I have moved out?

Landlord will not give the deposit back and keeps adding charges to the deposit. I moved out July 1.

Asked on August 27, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Nebraska


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

First everything has to be in writing and sent by certified mail.  Notify the landlord of their failure to return the deposit and demand payment. They then have 14 days to return it or a written itemization of the deductions taken. Familiarize yourself with the Nebraska Landlord Tenant Act and what the landlord may deduct. Then sue him if you believe deductions are improper.

If the landlord fails to comply with the Nebraska Landlord Tenant Act, the tenant may recover the property and money due him or her and reasonable attorney's fees.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption