What to do about a malpractice claim and an outstanding bill?

UPDATED: Oct 17, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about a malpractice claim and an outstanding bill?

I had spine surgery 4 years ago. It didn’t go right and I had to have 2 more surgeries. I considered a malpractice lawsuit as it left me in pain. How long after the surgery am I obliged to pay my bill? I had insurance but have not paid anything since. It is a matter of pride to not pay them since they made the mistakes and left me in pain and with a big bill. What is the statute of limitations? What is the best way to deal with the hospital? Can I still sue for malpractice?

Asked on October 17, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Colorado


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for you and for your situation. Let's deal with the issues here one at a time. First the statute of limitations on medical malpractice.  Here is the law:

"Any medical malpractice action must be brought within two years after the date the injury and its cause were known or should have been known with the exercise of reasonable diligence. Colo. Rev. Stat. Ann. §§ 13-80-102.5 and 13-80-108 (West 1997). In no event may a medical malpractice action be brought more than three years after the act or omission that gave rise to the action, unless the malpractice was knowingly concealed, the act or omission consisted of leaving an unauthorized foreign object in the body of the claimant, or both the physical injury and its cause are not known or could not have been known through the exercise of reasonable diligence. Colo. Rev. Stat. Ann. § 13-80-102.5 (West 1997)."

I think that the statute may have run in your case but I would double check with an attorney in your area as it is fact specific at times.  Now, as for the bill, you state  here that you had insurance, correct?  So why was it not submitted through insurance then?  Contact your state Department of Insurance for help here.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption