How long after a contractor completes a job can I file suit against him?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How long after a contractor completes a job can I file suit against him?

Contractor poured a concrete driveway at my home. After the job was completed,
the county told me that it extended out into the roadway too far, and that I had
to cut it off. Original contractor would not complete the repairs. I had to
hire another contractor to do the repairs. How long after the job was completed
can I take the original contractor to small claims court for the cost of repairs?

Asked on November 22, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Missouri


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can take him to court now if you have prof that 1. he did the original work (contract) 2. you paid him (check or receipt) 3. the county did not approve and told you to repair (letter) 4. he refused (what proof do you have?) 5. you huired and paid another to do the repair. Just don't wait too long becuase there is a statute of limitations on contract cases (generally 5 years).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption