How likely is my husband to get alimony from me?

UPDATED: Dec 27, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 27, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How likely is my husband to get alimony from me?

I am a 39 year old woman raising 3 boys; no college degree but I have managed to work hard and made a career in banking. I make twice as much as my husband and because of that he is now asking for alimony from me. He however does not want to pay any child support but wants to be able to get a tax benefit from one of the boys. How likely is he to get alimony?

Asked on December 27, 2011 under Family Law, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you have provided the bulk of the family support, there is a reasonable chance he will be entitled to some spousal support, at least on a temporary (a few years) basis. If he is not the custodial parent, however, there is a good chance he will in turn owe child support; and in terms of tax benefits, it typically is the parent providing the bulk of the child support who can claim a child as a deposit.

You should consult with a family law attorney to discuss these issues, including how best to maximize your financial situation for you and your children. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption