How is this legal?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How is this legal?

The Conservator appointed for my mother’s estate seized my storage unit that was in my company name and had nothing to do with my mother. we put my business name on her unit when I moved here from New York while she was alive My mother’s Will is in the unit and the conservator put her name on the unit, cut off my lock, and added her own, and though I’ve paid the bill for the last 8 months, I cannot get in it and they are probating without the Will. The unit is not even in her inventory.

Asked on April 7, 2019 under Estate Planning, Arizona


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You have to bring a legal action to get access to the unit and your possessions: if this was "her unit" as you indicate, a reasonable assumption on the executor's or conversator's part is that anything in it is hers--and it is then their legal obligation to prevent anyone from taking anything from it except as ordered by the court (they have to prevent family, friends, etc. from taking anything from the estate). You will need to file a motion in probate court seeking a court order allowing you to retrieve your belongings; you will have to prove in court your ownership of the contents of the unit. You are strongly advised to retain an attorney to help you.
It is not enough, by the way, to pay the bills: people pay bills for friends and family very commonly, for various reasons, without owning the items or contents for which they are paying bills. If the unit was for you, not your mother, you should have transferred it to your name while she was still alive.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption