How is non-profit status transferred from one group to another?

UPDATED: May 28, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 28, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How is non-profit status transferred from one group to another?

A 501c3 is closing up shop, but we would like to assume the corp & status–how do we do this? We are in CA. Thanks,

Asked on May 28, 2009 under Business Law, California


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I'm pretty sure that while you could buy the name and other assets of the old business, you'd have to set up your own non-profit entity and get your own 501c3 approval.  The alternative would be for you and your people to join and take control of the existing non-profit, if you can do so consistently with its organization and purpose.

For detailed advice on the best way to go forward, you need to speak to an attorney in your area who is familiar with non-profit organizations, and give him or her all the information about the old business and your group.  One place to find qualified attorneys is our website,

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption