How is get Paid or Title on a truck

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How is get Paid or Title on a truck

I have a customer that came to my shop for repairs. After the repairs was completed the customer refuse to come pick up his truck and pay the invoice. The customer said that he is going to let the truck go back to the lienholder. Well, my problem is that I want a mechanic’s lien on the truck. The courthouse told me that I can file judgement against the customer. I don’t want a judgement. Judgements don’t pay the bills. I want the money or the title of the truck. How do I go about getting what is rightfully mine?

Asked on August 6, 2018 under Business Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If there is already a lien on the truck (e.g. it was financed), you will NOT get it: the earlier lien has priority, so the existing lienholder gets the truck, not you.
If you can get a judgment, do so. Then you can try to collect on it: e.g. garnish wages, if you know or can find out where he works; levy on a bank account, if you can find it; put a lien on real estate; "execute" on other non-real estate property he owns (e.g. if he has another car/vehicle, it can potentially be seized); etc. Having the judgment gives you options and the possibility of collecting. That said, if he truly has no money and nothing of value, you will not be paid.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption