How effective is North Carolina long-arm statute?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How effective is North Carolina long-arm statute?

I am a Colorado resident who had an affair with a man from North Carolina. This
affair led to the couples divorce approximately six months later. I want to know
what are the odds that I will become a defendant in a heart balm related suit.

Asked on November 22, 2017 under Family Law, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Long-arm statutes are completely effective, as long as their terms are met (that is, the  prospective defendant had sufficient contact with the jurisdiction [i.e. state]). If you had the requisite contacts with NC, such as by having an affair with a married NC resident--you did something involving NC citizens, interferring with a NC-sanctioned relationship (the marriage)--you could be sued in NC court. Based on what you write, you could be named in a case brought in NC.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption