How easy is it to get a criminal record sealed?

UPDATED: Nov 26, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How easy is it to get a criminal record sealed?

My criminal record was from almost 13 years ago all misdmeanors. Can I do it myself or do I have to have an attorney and if so what kind of attorney. I do not think it is good enough to get my record expunged. I have been in really no trouble since these offenses.

Asked on November 26, 2012 under Criminal Law, Ohio


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Whether or not you can have your record sealed or "expunged" (i.e. "erased") all depends on the exact nature of the crimes committed and the state in which they were committed.

In some states misdmeanors are eligible for expungement, in others they are not. Somtimes multiple offenses can be expunged, sometimes not.

You may want to consult with an attorney in the area for help. The expungment process, when avialable, can be tedious and time-consuming, not to mention confusing. However, to get startrd, you can google the website of the state in question egarding expungments/sealing. There is a good amount of information on-line.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption