How do you stop a lawyer from harassing you by filing frivolous motions on a case that you won?

UPDATED: Aug 1, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 1, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do you stop a lawyer from harassing you by filing frivolous motions on a case that you won?

I bought a car where the motor went up 2 weeks later. I sued the dealership and won the case. They appealed the decision and I won the appeal hearing as well. Now their lawyer is filing a motion to revise, a motion to strike, a motion to dismiss and anything else he can to keep from paying me. I am on social security disability and can’t afford an attorney which he knows. I haven’t been able to find a pro bono and legal aid says they don’t take this type of case. What can I do myself to stop this and receive my money? What papers do I need to file with the court?

Asked on August 1, 2011 Maryland


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately if you cannot afford a lawyer to hire you are somewhat at a disadvantage in dealing with the next round of motions by the attorney for the car dealership after you have won at trial and on the appeal.

You might consider contacting the local bar association in the county where you live to see if there are some lawyers who could assist you "gratis" with your matters. Some counties provide such services by younger attorneys who want to get some experience first hand helping people.

Another option to assist you is to contact the nearest law school to where you live. The law school might provide clinics by its students ot assist people like you who cannot afford a lawyer but need legal help.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption