How do you modify child support and alimony

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do you modify child support and alimony

What steps need to be taken to modify my child
support and alimony. I make 58,000 and am paying
2300 in support per month. Is there a way to lower
that. Before the court mandated this amount i was
paying 200 per week plus providing my children
with whatever they needed.

Asked on September 10, 2019 under Family Law, Connecticut


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

The court has the power to modify it. You will need to make a motion (which is a formal request made to the court, in your case and its docket or file number, to do something) to reduce the amount. In the motion, you have to demonstrate why you cannot afford this amount: e.g. you'll have to show that if you pay this, you don't have enough left after taxes for your own reasonable needs. Since you are paying $27,600/year, or almost half your pre-tax income, you may be able to show that: you will need to collect evidence of your taxes (income and property, if your state has property taxes), mortgage or rent, utility costs, car costs, phone and internet costs, clothing and food, etc., so as to demonstrate how little you are left and that this amount is not supportable. Having a family law attorney assist you will help you do this: the lawyer will know the court rules and procedures, as well as how best to present your case and also can find "precedent," or prior cases, where people received reductions in similar situations to help bolster your position. Given how much money is at stake, hiring a lawyer to help you is well worth it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption