How do you go about proving co-habitation in order to stop paying alimony?

UPDATED: Mar 21, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 21, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do you go about proving co-habitation in order to stop paying alimony?

Is this somethihg that can be done on my own or do I need to hire someone to get the required proof? The divorce has been settled but the alimony amount is ridiculous and I need to be able to stop paying it becuase I can’t afford it. My ex-wife refuses to work and hasn’t done so in over 30 years. When is the best time to proceed?

Asked on March 21, 2012 under Family Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The best way to try and get some resolution with your question and the alimony issue with your former wife is for you to consult with a family law attorney. If your former spouse is living with another person and is getting some semblance of "support" which would possibly allow you to get your alimony obligation reduced, the best way to get such proof is to hire a private investigator to do a background check on your former wife and begin to develop a factual basis for a motion to reduce your alimony obligation.

It is best to have the private investigator work with your attorney hand in hand from a practical aspect.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption