How do you find out if the IRS is investigating as estate?

UPDATED: Mar 16, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do you find out if the IRS is investigating as estate?

Family and executor is telling me that the IRS is investigating taxes for the past 4 years on my uncle who past away last year. Seems to me like the IRS could take everything. Although, I have an odd feeling of being lied too.

Asked on March 16, 2012 under Estate Planning, South Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you have a feeling that the Internal Revenue Service is investigating an estate that you are involved in, I suggest that you ask family members and the executor for concrete information of the investigation such as letters or references to telephone calls. Assuming there is an attorney representing the estate, you should call him or her about your concerns.

If there was a probate filed, I would then pull the file and see if the Internal Revenue Service is listed as a creditor. I would not call the Internal Revenue Service for fear that you might be opening up a can of worms.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption