How do we recuperate our final payment of about $10,000 from a residential client?

UPDATED: Dec 16, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 16, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do we recuperate our final payment of about $10,000 from a residential client?

We have a written contract. The property is an investment property for our client and either they have or are about to have a contract on the home to be sold. Can we file a mechanic’s lien if the home is about to be sold?

Asked on December 16, 2013 under Business Law, Maryland


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Absolutely you can try for a lien but you will need a court order in order to get the lien. You cannot simply file a lien; the registry of deeds will need a court order allowing you to have a lien on assets. So you need to immediately sue and the methods of obtaining such liens will be need to be followed by statute to get it (i.e., specific notice language, the number of notices and the like).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption