How do we protect ourselves after paying a bill someone’s auto damage?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do we protect ourselves after paying a bill someone’s auto damage?

My husband backed into a person who pulled up behind his large dump truck. It was very dark and he bumped into the car when he started to back up. The car had pulled up too close to observe in the side mirrors. The man in the car said he was on a conference call and didn’t pay attention. The police were called. No ticket was issued and the policeman said it was an unreportable accident because of the situation and the minor damage. We will pay for the damage based on a provided body shop estimate that we received. We don’t want to be contacted again for any additional money after we pay this estimate. Is there something we can do to protect us from any further requests for additional money?

Asked on February 17, 2018 under Accident Law, Wisconsin


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You can protect yourself from further demands of compensation by you and the other party signing a release of all claims.
To obtain the boilerplate language for a release of all claims, at the law library ask the law librarian to help you find it in Pleading and Practice.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption