How do we get our nuisance neighbor to move or stop having loud parties?

UPDATED: Nov 7, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do we get our nuisance neighbor to move or stop having loud parties?

Asked on November 7, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

First, you've presumably spoken with the neighbor; if you haven't done this, try it--it's always best to work this out amiably.

Once  you have spoken to your neighbor and they won't stop, you options are:

1) Check local ordinances about noise--how loud can it be? are there any hours (e.g. late night, early morning) when noise is not allowed? etc. If the neighbors are violating noise ordinances, the authorities can enforce them for you (e.g. contact the police).

2) If you and your neighbor are in rentals with the same landlord, provide the landlord written notice that your right to quiet enjoyment is being breached by another one of his or her tenants. Since such a breach can result you having a cause of action against the landlord and/or being able to terminate your lease, he or she will have an incentive to take action. If necessary, he could threaten to evict this tenant if he or she will not reduce the noice.

3) Another option is a nuisance lawsuit, but these can be difficult and expensive. Try the other options first; if they don't work, consult with an attorney about your situation in detail, to explore the feasibility of  this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption