How do we force spousal support payments to occur on time for my mother who is incapacitated with Alzheimer’s Disease?

UPDATED: Aug 30, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 30, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do we force spousal support payments to occur on time for my mother who is incapacitated with Alzheimer’s Disease?

My mother and ex-stepfather divorced 22 years ago and he has been ordered to pay spousal support forever. My ex-stepfather, who is an attorney, is usually 2 months behind in his payments then will pay 1 month just before the next payment is due. He is perpetually behind. My mother has Alzheimer’s Disease and needs to transition into a nursing home. Because my brother and I are financially challenged in this economy, we are struggling to cover the fees for our mother’s care. I have Power of Attorney for my mother and need to know what to do.

Asked on August 30, 2011 California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your situation and for what your ex step father is doing to your Mother.  I think that you need to seek help from someone in your are on this matter.  You may be able to have help from the county in which you live in to collect the spousal support payments from your ex step father and on time.  I do not know what county in California you reside, but I am aware that the County of Alameda has their own department set up to collect spousalsupport payments regardless of your financial situation.  it is the Alameda County Department of Child Support Services (they collect spousal support too) and I will give you the link here.  Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption