How do we find out how mucha lender sold a property and land for after it was foreclosed on?

UPDATED: Nov 21, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 21, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do we find out how mucha lender sold a property and land for after it was foreclosed on?

1 credit report shows we owe them $40,000 but the other 2 show a 0 balance. If they did sell it for more than was owed do they owe us the money?

Asked on November 21, 2011 under Real Estate Law, South Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

One way to ascertain how much a foreclosed property was later sold for by the lender is to go down to the county tax assessor where the property is located and pull the recent tax assessment records for the property recently sold. The sales price should be listed.

If it is not, one way to ascertain it is to pull the last deed on it and look at the cost of the transfer tax. Usually the cost reflects a price of a $1.10 per thousand dollars of the selling price.

If the lender resold the proeprty after a foreclosure sale after it had received title to the parcel, it would not owe you any monies even if it was resold for more than what you owed on it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption