How do verify my web site is not in violatoin of copyright and trademark issues?

UPDATED: Oct 21, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 21, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do verify my web site is not in violatoin of copyright and trademark issues?

How do I register my trademark as intellectual property and copyright it?

Asked on October 21, 2011 under Business Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you want to trademark an item that you use for your website, you can either contact your state's secretary of state website for the forms for registration of your trademark (actually service mark since you are providing a service not a product) if you want to protect your design solely in the state of Texas.

If you want to protect your design nationwide, you need to register your design under the Lanham Act. The Lanham Act is the federal statute that one can register their service or trade mark nation wide. You can do an online search on how to register a design or logo through the Lanham Act.

The process is somewhat complicated. Most people retain an attorney experienced in trade mark or service mark registration to assist.

Items that are typically copywritten are music and books.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption